Friday 5 November 2010

Saving stuff on EBSCO

If I had a cent for every time this has come up recently, I'd have at least oooh 5cents, possibly more. The query goes something like this: I save stuff in my folder in EBSCO, but when I log in again and go to my folder there's nothing there and/or my login details don't work. Please help." This one is fairly simple:

In order to be able to save items etc. You need to create a personal account. Once you have logged in with your student number, there should be a blue menu bar on the top of the page with various options. One of these is Sign In. If you click this, you will be prompted for a username and password. Do not enter your student name and password, but instead click on Create A New Account. Once you do this you can save items and searches, set up RSS/email alerts etc

A personal account is necessary, because although you have a unique login to access EBSCO off-campus, you may be using other methods to login to EBSCO elsewhere – e.g. on-campus, access is by IP authentication – hence EBSCO has no way of knowing when “you” are searching – unless you login with your personal account – which you can do from anywhere. Your personal account will not grant access to EBSCO (for that you need the student number and date of birth), but will allow you to personalise how you use EBSCO.

No comments: