Tuesday 29 September 2009

Important - Ebook passwords

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
Song of Myself - Walt Whitman

Having written a brief guide to username and passwords yesterday, I'm now forced to contradict what I said about Dawsonera - Ebook logins. First, let me explain. Rather than wait for you all to contact the library asking for Dawsonera username and passwords, we are able to bulk create new users. This means we can create hundreds of accounts at the same time rather than one at a time. This is really handy for us, and for you as well as you don't have to bother contacting the library to ask for a login. Sadly Dawsonera recently "enhanced" their bulk user creation software. One of the "enhancements" turned out to be their software now recognising the first slash in dd/mm/yyyy as some kind of end of line or end of field symbol, so instead of seeing dd/mm/yyyy as the password, Dawsonera sees dd as the password. Two character passwords are not allowed by Dawsonera. Epic fail.

So, if you are a new student, having registered since July, and have not previously logged into Dawsonera, or have contacted the library to be set up with a username and password, then your username is your student number and your password is your date of birth in the format ddmmyyy - no slashes involved (except for the one I want to make to the flesh of Dawsonera programmers).

Summarising Dawsonera logins:
If you were here before January 2009 your username is probably firstnamesurname or firstinitialsurename e.g. clarkkent or ckent and your password is your student number.
If you registered after January 2009 and before July 2009, your username is your student number and your password is your date of birth in the format dd/mm/yyyy
If you have registered in July 2009 or after, your username is your student number and your password is your date of birth in the format ddmmyyyy. If this doesn't work try using your student number as your password. If you are unable to login, please contact me.

I apologise for having to make this more complicated that it really should be, but I suppose I have to thank Dawsonera for making this post possible. Thanks Dawsonera! (To be said in the same tone as said here)





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

no slashes involved (except for the one I want to make to the flesh of Dawsonera programmers).

Hilarious!